Shekhawati is a regional area formed by nearby cities, towns and villages. It is also famous for Marwari Sahukars (businessmen) like Birla, Modi, etc.
|Dynasty||Shekhawats (1445-1949), branch of Kachawa Dynasty of Jaipur|
|Historical capitals||50/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Separated states||Thikanas of Shekhawati, Khandela, Khatu, Khood, Sikar, Pentalisa, Panchpana, Khetri, etc.|
Shekhawati was first used by Colonel W.S. Gardener in 1803 and followed by Colonel James Tod. Shekhawati got its name from the Rajput Kachhwaha Rajvansh’s Rao Shekhaji.
Tourist Places in Shekhawati
The Shekhawati area has dozens of forts, havelis, thikanas, step wells and royal palaces made by Rajput kings. These are as follow:
- Mandawa Fort was founded by Thakur Nawal Singh Bahadur in 1755.
- Dundlod Fort was created in 1750 AD using perfect combination of Indian and European architecture.
- The Roop Niwas Kothi built by Rawal Madan Singh.
- Mukundgarh Fort, built by Thakur Mukund Singh in 1859.
- Narain Niwas Castle (aka Mahansar Fort) was founded in 1758 by Thakur Nawal Singh.
- Alsisar Mahal
- Dera Danta Kila
- Castle Pachar
- Surajgarh Fort
- Arooka Castle
- The Heritage on Wheels, a luxury tourist train on meter gauge